Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Dinner's Ready. What the hell..........

Well, I never would have imagined that I would be doing this...... Have you ever said that? :0)
I have been a lacto-ovo vegetarian ( dairy and eggs only) with an occasional seafood snuck in my diet for good measure. Now I prep and cook poultry and some pork for John and Greg occasionally. Although for the most part they will eat anything I cook which is mostly veggie and seafood dishes. But I would have never imagined I would be doing this.....
We met our neighbor, Scott a few weeks ago who is not only an oil platform engineer (off of the coast of our town Nikiski) but he is also an avid fisherman and hunter, would you have ever guessed? So I had to hold my tongue when he gave us "Backstrap" (otherwise known as the tenderloin of Moose) and ground round of Moose. He also snuck in some Halibut that he had caught with our "Welcome to Nikiski and our Neighborhood" basket. Now being vegetarian I have a hard time even considering taking a bite of Moose because it's a vegetarian ( yes they only eat grasses, young leaves off of the Birch, Alder and Ash trees. ) Now if I eat moose isn't that Cannibalism? I know what your going to say, but think about it. Since we've been here we've seen Scott maybe twice and he always asks me the question. So have you had the moose yet? Being in Alaska I'm in a very small population of vegetarians here. It's like trying to find a Chevy when everyone buys Ford. We have many meat eaters in this state (they eat all kinds; beef, moose, caribou, etc.) which I already knew prior to moving here. I just feel really uncomfortable telling our neighbor thanks for the moose but I'm vegetarian. Eventually this will come out but I have to watch how I say it due to the many adverse comments I could get back. Like, "Lady your in the wrong state for that. " Or, "Why did you leave California then?" And so on.
So, guess what I'm cooking at this moment? Aaahh yes, my coveted, adorable, vegetation eating, comical, Bullwinkle. Yes, we're having Moose Stroganoff tonight. Or shall I say, Michelle, Greg and John are having it because, you know my stance on the whole thing..... So while we're now Alaskans or Sourdoughs (people who haven't lived through there first winter in Alaska) I am pretty proud of myself that I will be able to confidently say, " Scott, I made your moose and everyone said it was delicious, Thanks." Hopefully he will not pick up on the fact that I didn't have it. ;0)
So on that note, I live in Alaska now, I am considered a Sourdough by the natives and you just never know what I will be cooking next.... Ding, Ding, Ding, DINNER IS ON!!!!!!

Love ya, miss ya M.

2 comments:

Johns Girl said...

Hi! Ya know I was watching this thing on the travel channel last night about traditional Alaskan meals. This guy went along the Kenai Penninsula & ate stuff like jellied moose nose, whale tail, walrus and these nasty little fish heads. Who knows the fish heads might be yummy=]
love ya guys, Conetha!

mike kiriluk said...

maryanne me dear...
ya have the heart of a vegeterian lion...