Friday, September 7, 2007

Sentimentalism, disbelief, rage, and love & fear....

You know, it's actually somewhat intriguing to do a blog post. I mean, it's not like there is a pre-written script or something as to what you will write. It's all spontaneous. It is what you are feeling at that moment that propels you to write. Sometimes it may be an event, like your moving wheel cutting loose and taking off across the tundra at a high rate of speed as you watch in disbelief. Other times it may be something you saw or experienced that you just feel like sharing. Facts! Now there is a good one, because after all who is better equipped to share facts about Alaska than an Alaskan?! I don't think you can ever run out of things to post on a blog. If you do, you have a serious problem and need to seek professional attention. I don't need to. So today I thought I would share a little sentimentalism, as well as a few short stories of events that have occurred over the past few days.

You may have noticed we have our first link (at the top left corner of the home page). Our friends Dave and Yvette, from back home have started their own blog. Interesting thing of it is is that they too are experiencing the stirring of new beginnings, much like where abouts we were a year ago. The neat thing is that we were still in Dorrington when the first inklings of change began to emanate in their lives. Now it is starting to call out to them, and become more defined. It's great that we get to follow their progress towards their goals and dreams. Really good people they are, and we are so excited for them and the prospects that lay ahead for them. They are in our prayers and as much as we miss them, we are there in hope and spirit.

On to some odd events in recent days. Now it is a matter of fact that Alaska is a concealed legal state. In other words any Alaskan citizen is allowed to carry a loaded and concealed weapon at all times, except for into a bank or government building. We knew that this is legal and being here for a few months now completely understand how and why. It's just another unique liberal example of what makes Alaskans Alaskans, and Alaska Alaska! As I was working the other day this commercial came on the radio and I had to about do a double take as to what I had heard. The commercial goes on to say that Alaska is a concealed legal state and that anyone at anytime could and may be carrying a concealed and loaded firearm. It goes on to warn anyone who intends to steal, rob, rape ect. to beware that the target they choose may be packing a loaded weapon and will use it. Basically comes right out and says, the next time you think of doing crime, remember that Alaskans are armed and will shoot back. Just really different to hear that on the radio. Definitely something you would never in a thousand and one years hear in conservative California. Speaking of shooting. The other day Maryann is off of work with John at school and myself working. That afternoon she lets the dogs outside to do what the dogs do outside, and inadvertently fell asleep on the bed. Apparently she just wanted to close her eyes for a moment and went out like a light for a while in a deep sleep. Some time later she awakes to an obnoxious continual honking of a horn. It pulls her out of her sleep and through the dreariness of just waking up she is pissed to say the least when she realizes that some jackass is sitting out in front of the house in the driveway blaring their horn. She looks out the window and is thinking who in the hell this is, as she doesn't recognize the truck. Meantime, the dogs are barking and jumping all over the truck and the occupants have the windows completely rolled up. So Maryann goes to the front door and opens it, while this jackass is still honking and yells at them what do they want. Mind you, she just got rattled out of a dead sleep and is a tad dazed, and in no mood to mess. Had she had the gun in her hand she would more than likely have leveled the barrel, and in the mood she was in had fired a warning shot over the bow. The driver rolls down the window ever so slightly and asks if so and so lives here. The name she inquired was the previous owners name. Maryann steps out the door and is now getting more and more agitated, as she has serious reserves about the previous owner, and some of the shenanigans that she pulled when she sold us the house. She looks at this woman while Cherokee is clawing at her window, and says point blank...."do I look like f*^king so and so?" "Did you not see the sign at the driveway that says 'Private Property, No Trespassing'???" "What in hell do you think this is that you sit there and honk on my property??" I guess the look on this woman's face was priceless as Maryann read her the 'riot act'. She all but gives her not much of a choice as she is yelling..."go...now...if you know whats best for you!" If you knew how serious people here take their privacy, I would never in my life even think about venturing down a long, blind driveway that is specifically posted not to. She did! I guess I understand why she did as she assumed she was in the right place...she assumed. You know what happens when we assume! But to sit a blare your horn nonstop.....duh! Meanwhile that same day I found myself in a precarious position. I had been dispatched out by one of the property management firms I do work for, to check out a deadbolt on someones apartment. Apparently the key was stuck in the deadbolt and it wouldn't lock. Now the person who lived there was going to be at work, and obviously the door would be unlocked. So I arrive and do my customary 'knock' before I enter. Upon hearing no response I walk in and proceed to assess the situation with the lock. For no other reason than it is just easier to see what was happening with it, I walked to the inside and shut the door to test the deadbolt. And wouldn't you know it, in fact it locked. It locked so well that in fact it would not unlock! I am thinking holy crap, as I struggle with it to no avail. I am now officially locked inside of some strangers apartment. Now I don't know if you have ever experienced the fleeting moment of euphoric dread that one feels when they find themselves trapped in some unknowing strangers habitat. Let me tell you it is the most eye-opening sense of concern you will ever have man. I am thinking "oh crap, what if they are home in the shower or something and didn't hear me knock. What are they gonna think when they see.... Now I just heard that commercial about shooting strangers in your home and such for the first time ever the day before, and now I am wondering what sick irony was transpiring before me. So I continue to struggle with the lock. Then I remember that the smart man that I am, I had put a screwdriver in my pocket before I entered and figure I will try to unscrew the lock and pop it out and maybe free up whatever was jamming it. I wasn't even into the second screw when all of a sudden from the other end of the apartment I hear a loud and large determined bark, bark, bark. My heart sinks into my ass as I begin to visualize this rabid dog ripping at the stranger in his home, as I struggle to pop the lock, and I am about to piss my pants. The dog, wherever it was keeps barking and I am counting the seconds before it rounds the corner and sees me as a can of opened Alpo. I finally pop the lock out and unlatch the throw as I burst through the door to the outside. Now I can't imagine what someone would have thought had they been on the outside watching a lock for no apparent reason fly off of the door and see this burly man excitedly come flying across the threshold like he had just escaped the house of horror in some freak Linda Blair movie! But I imagine it would have had their jaw about floored, and their eyes a bugging. Now I am out and the suspense is killing me. The thing is still barking but it is not coming after me. The true adventurer that I have become here in the last frontier, I slowly begin to walk the mile back into the apartment to see what is barking and why it didn't kill me. Fool that I was! I cautiously come to the corner and peak around it and there tied on this leash that is wrapped around the kitchen trash can is this little adorably fluffy little rat dog! His tail starts wagging and his little body starts to gyrate with excitement! I walked over to it and as I let him know his bark was way bigger than he was, he rolls over so I can rub his belly. Ahwwe! =) So we talked about it for a couple minutes and I finally, and very relieved I might add, began to fix the sticky deadbolt. So the next day I pull up to the same apartment complex to look at another unit that needs some work. I am at the passenger door of my truck on the curb digging out a few tools I will need from my toolbox, and feel the sensation of something running up my leg. I spin around to see what is going on and if it isn't my cute little buddy! His tail is wagging and he is standing on my leg just wanting that bonding love we shared the day before to re-ignite! His owner comes running out calling him like he had dodged out the open door and shouldn't of. Seems he heard me pull up and knew he just had to come see me!

So there you have it! In the past 3 days a tale of sentimentalism, disbelief, rage, and love & fear all in a place called Alaska. It just started raining a few moments ago. First time in about a week and a half. My folks will be here this coming Wednesday and we are excited. The dogs get all perky when they hear us tell them Grandpa and Grandma are coming. Good night for now, and best hopes for our friends Dave and Yvette!

-Greg

4 comments:

carol said...

WOW, that is the first time I have ever heard someone refer to California as conservative, the rest of the country think we are to liberal. It must be really wild up there. Have a good weekend. Carol

"Jenks" said...

Thanks so much guys for the lovely compliments. I laughed so hard when I read about the little rat dog. Our Taser is the little 4lb rat dog that thinks she is all that. So I can just visualize her. Only she is annoying and keeps barking. She doesn't get close enough for you to touch or kick. And how funny about MaryAnn, true Mtn woman or now she's an Alaskan woman. Can't wait to see pics of her in that boxing ring. ha ha

Kenai Alaska Or Bust! said...

Good morning Carol! Yes, I suppose you are right. Califronia is considered liberal. As well I think Alaska is considered conservative. It is just odd to me that what is considered a conservative state would allow it's populace to carry weapons, where as a liberal state would not? I think what I meant to say it is that Alaskans like to exercise their freedoms....and they do. California seems like they put constranints on their freedoms. The last time I heard so much as a peep of allowing Californians to carry weapons, it was dropped like a hot potatoe in a nanosecond. Then again, maybe it's a good thing they don't! I think a better way to say it is that the ideals here are much different, in not only the way they are viewed, but carried out. It is wild!! But oh so nice. I guess there is a reason why they call it 'the last frontier'. Have a great weekend. =)

Anonymous said...

I'm trying to figure out if I'm actually leaving a comment!!