Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Now if that does'nt...


....doesn't make you poop yourself.... This is what we saw on the news stand walking into Carrs (Safeway in the lower 48) this afternoon. Now, if we didn't already know that : #1 It was snowing all day so there is no way that this could be a photo from today. #2 We already drove form Nikiski to Kenai and saw no evidence suggesting otherwise. #3 Nobody around us seemed to phased.... we surely would have lost it! And rightfully so. This is a photo that is fairly popular from the 1989 eruption. No, as of post tonight there has been no eruption. People here are going about there lives like nothing is out of the ordinary, as are we. Truthfully, I am really holding on to that whole 'fart' theory, but am prepared for the worst. It just seems like it will be a huge pain in the butt for potentially a long while if it does go. Who knows, man!

In other news, John has landed himself one great job! As you know, he is now getting out of school at 11:30 daily, since he has more than enough credits to graduate. The deal here was: you get out early, you need to find a job. We could not see the sense in him just hanging around, doing nothing. Mind you, that is not John anyways, but it was the agreement. So he is now working part time at an electric supply house outside of Kenai. Woo-hoo man! The really good thing is that after school in June he will probably be going full time, which will provide him with the old fashioned benefits...paid vacation, medical, ect. We are so happy for him. And talk about God opening a door for each that he closes, John found out within a couple days of getting this job that the Italian joint was going to lay him off due to lack of business and family matters. you know how those 'family' matters are with the Italians... =) So, yeah, it all came together like a good book!

I had the strange honor of teaching a couple pottery classes at Nikiski High a couple weeks ago. Strange, only because I of all people would have been the last to ever think that 'I' could teach anything. I am the one who used to be sick the days that I had to stand up in front of the class to do reports. But, I was asked by the art teacher, and spent a couple days helping the middle school class throwing clay on the potters wheel. They were stoked! It was really fun, and I only wish I had more time to have been able to attend more with them. But it was fun, and worked out well. I have been told that I can do an appearance anytime I have the time, so maybe next week I will pop in and see how they are all doing with what they have learned. We have had snow litely most of the day, and it has picked up this afternoon and evening, so it looks as if I will be going out around midnight to begin my plowing run. I have installed the 'Plow-Cam' on the plow, so hopefully the next post I will have some awesome 'real time' pics of plowing snow. Cool, huh!? Always trying to make it all better for everyone to see!! This is what I do. Take care, and stay safe out there. Our love to all!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Great experience to be able to go back to school, only this time teaching. the students sounded like they really enjoyed what you taught them. I'm proud of you sonny. Now I know something else, those days when you said you were sick, Now I see the rest of the story :-)
I am excited for John to land the job, and what a job to be able to see all those componts that go into wiring jobs. This kid is into everything, and that is great for his broading his experiences. What a Grandson.
The plow cam will be something to see, can not wait to see the action, now watch it not snow anymore, only kidding :-))
I have been waiting for a new blog from you. You can tell a story tht keeps us on the edge of our seats waiting for the next blog in the life at the compound. I found out from the news the other day why our gas prices are creeping up. seems like the unions are causing this increase getting ready to strike and they close one refinery down. I guess it onluy gets better down here in the lower 48 or should I say lower 49 states. Well son I have to go for now. Going out to play at Spencers place. Building a large room inside a metal building, its fun to be on vacation :-)))
hugs around the compound